Tuesday, December 11, 2012

#25:  Digital Citizenship

     Children and adults alike are attached to technology through the day, every day. Just think about the number of times you texted or checked your facebook today. Also think about the verb I just used, texted. It has officially been adopted by dictionaries, making it obvious that technology has catapulted our society into a digital age. This being said, students and adults need to be informed about digital citizenship and the standards that exist in the digital, or online, world.

    One resource I found was a Live Binder library of compiled resources created for students of all ages and parents. Another resource that I use in my classroom to teach digital citizenship Brainpop. Although Brainpop requires a subscription to have full access to the videos, several of the digital security videos are free to the public. Here is one about specifically on digital citizenship. Since I am a visual learner, as if you can't tell from all the videos on my blog, I did a quick search of digital citizenship and came across this video that could be shown to faculty members prior to discussing digital citizenship instruction. I think teachers do a great job of teaching and compiling resources of what digital citizenship is, however, I think we need to pause and remember WHY we teach students to be responsible digital citizens as well. This video is a good reminder that we teach this content in order for students to be productive in the "digital society" in all of their future school and personal endeavors.


No comments:

Post a Comment