Monday, October 27, 2014

Week #6:  Connect to a Power Source




A simple, but powerful powerful command to educators today. I do connect...every day..but am I connecting my device to receive power to it or connecting to others with my device to empower myself and other teachers? We connect devices all day, but do we truly connect ourselves into conversations and professional relationships with others in an effort to flatten the brick and mortar confines of our schools and digitally enter into schools around the world that have accepted a new "normal" for instruction and professional development. I don't. Not enough anyway. For example, I have  Twitter account, but I don't use it to grow my PLN. Will I now that I've read more about it? Yes. I think the glass ceiling that I've hit with my professional growth is fear. Fear that I might make a mistake. Fear that my school might not accept my vision. Fear that I might not have what it takes to lead my school into a connected and more digitally proficient environment for our students. The more I read, however, some of the most connected educators had the same fears, but they started small and  continued to step forward toward change. However small the steps were, they were still focused on moving forward and not backward. Eventually, those steps became larger and more steady as they developed their own "voice" and received affirmation that their ideas were legitimate and were valid with education today. So, what do I take away from all my readings about being connected? I have to do it. I've been charged to lead my school in the a more connected direction for the sake of our students, and I can't continue to let my own selfish fears keep me from charging ahead and forming a more robust PLN that catapults my learning and school into change. Real change.


No comments:

Post a Comment