Tuesday, November 20, 2012

#18: Math App Makes a "Splash"

     I recently received the Tech & Learning magazine in the mail, thanks to my new subscription, and as I was flipping through it, I came across an article about a product review. Doesn't sound very interesting, does it? Except that I had downloaded the app to use in my math class, and the students loved it! I quickly read the article to find out what other people were saying about the app.
     The app, "Splash Math Grades 1-5",  offers a grade by grade curriculum, and teachers can differentiate instruction, or the usage, based on the varying the student levels. The lessons and activities for the app align to the CCSS, and teachers can pull a report for a student at any time. What I love about the app is that students create their own avatar for the app, and the next time students use the app, they can resume whatever activity or lesson they were completing. The students like the appearance of the app because it is very kid-friendly and has a visually appealing space theme. Although I haven't accessed all of the teacher components to the app, I can see how it could be very useful information.
     The article rates the app as "excellent", and goes on to say that it would be great for students with special needs also.


Below is a link to the Tech&Learning magazine article:
http://www.techlearning.com/products/0038/study-pad-splash-math/52999

No comments:

Post a Comment